Thursday, September 28, 2006

Before It All Began

I have a ground floor office with a one-way glass wall that faces the street. Once in a while, a woman comes really close and adjusts her hair or fixes her make up. Or a kid would try to peer into the other side. They have no idea that there is a person sitting right there. It is entertaining, especially when I am in a meeting. I am entertained easily.

I finally slept yesterday. At least a little bit. This is what happens everytime. My sleep patterns get normal and then it is time to leave. The whole story all over again. A school friend of mine who is a movie director in Bollywood is shooting in France and he wants me to visit. I have never been to a Bollywood shoot. But then again, I have never had malaria, either. So I think I will pass.

Have you been following the political developments in Hungary? It is a crzy place. I will be in Budapest next month and I am strangely excited and a little nervous. We shall see how it develops. So if you suddenly see me stop blogging in October, read a Hungarian newspaper to find out what might have happened to moi:-)

This reminds me the time right after PRI was defeated and Vicente Fox was elected after a free election. I am no fan of Fox and his politics. But it was nevertheless a historic period. I was in a small town in Mexico that day. At 10:00 PM, on my way back to the hotel, the car was surrounded by people out on the street celebrating. On a whim, I got off and joined the guys on the street cheering and clapping. Ole Ole! Who knows, wherever there is unrest, the blogger goes there:-) Often for the wrong reasons.

Anyone for a good protest rally?

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Before It All Began

(Previously published. Written in 1998, I think.)

Comeon pink Frederick, I said moving back and forth
Chanting endlessly.
Moving about behind buses,
Under the clouds, toppling rickshaws,
And almost beside myself with joy.

Comeon pink Frederick I said calling out, what a hoot!
Let's go and touch a flying kite,
Let's see rainbows and remember last night's dreams.

Comeon pink Frederick lets open our shirts,
Show incipient chest hair to each other;
Level with each other;
Learn about each other;
Touch our pre-pubescent upperlips;
Reach over and pat them down
And pretend to study.

Comeon pink Frederick lets draw vermilion lines on hands
With razor edges; make tears with blood, menstruate from our cuts,
Be women together,
Know each other's chants, slogans,
Play politics, let's sit on a strike,
Give up food, be the watchman's nightmare.

Comeon pink Frederick be fat.
Be sleepy. Lie under a blanket all day and all night;
Listen to the rain, masturbate and be scared,
And think of suicide and make nooses in our heads.

Comeon pink Frederick lets be a spot on the firing line,
Open our skeletal chests, our pot bellies to police.
Watch the bullets spray, fall under a running mendicant's feet.
Be dead.