Wednesday, September 12, 2007

Objects In The Mirror

I have an early morning flight to Rome tomorrow. Here I am sitting up sleepless and tired. I had a very very late dinner with Stefan at a restaurant where the woman apologized for running out of bread.

It is important to record these details of the daily grind because such days you forget. When you are seventy and you sit on the porch and wonder what you did with your youth, you need to remember the meal at the restaurant with no bread.

That is where your youth went. Also in the morning commute, in the irrascible crevices of memory and silly precipices of mere existence.

I have been dreaming weird dreams lately.My father's aunt has a house in a small town. When it was being buing built, I used to climb on top and look down from the terrace. I haven't seen that house in 22 years. Last night I dreamt that I eviced some Geneva partygoers from that terrace.

That is where my youth went. In nightmares and anxieties. In flight schedules and airports.

But I still want to live.