Monday, November 20, 2006

Sky is falling (Turin, Italy)

Turin, Italy: An autumn afternoon

It was a perfect day; slightly chilly and sunny at the same time. The city seemed to have emptied itself. There was a park not far from where I had parked. A large park that led itself into the Piazza Castillo from where one could stroll to Via Roma. Beside a large statue installation, there was a path covered in fallen yellow leaves. You could lie there on the ground and be one with all the shades of yellow that blankets you. Then I looked up and saw the sky falling. A thousand yellow leaves of various shapes and sizes came falling down from all over the canopy over my head and if it was not for the need to appear to be sane, I would simply have dissolved in emotion right there.

The sky was falling!

The statues looked happy too. There was a woman who was walking two dogs, two policemen were engaged in a conversation at the edge of the road; a couple slowly walked by hand-in-hand up a small hill ahead. They disappeared from under a gate and dissolved into possibilities.

There was a path ahead and beyond that were the churches, piazzas and streetside cafes.

I had to take my leave from that place time forgot.

The sky kept falling behind me.