Saturday, November 11, 2006

Two Poems For Liars and Acrobats

An Acrobat in Paris

Ignore all the comments and set up the net. Be cruel to self so it becomes easier to be cruel to others. Like scorpions or spiders in waiting. Never look at the pray in the eyes because you might be tempted to walk away. Humanity is deceptive. Lie copiously. Change the tone from earnest to insensitive. Sweet to poignant. From sensitive to indifferent. What are the odds of acrobats? A fall may hurt the back but the applause is well worth the effort.


Now That You are Done and Gone

Now I have fallen and broken my back
And you are getting better at throwing stones
You are trying out new ways to hurt,
I am running out of ways to duck

You find stones in Tangier or Paris,
Sharp angular ones, with edges seared to cut
And flex your muscles to throw better
Find a friend or four to help

I learn new steps, arch my back down
Step around circles, ask no questions
And feel the ground close to my head
So your stones would glide over me

You hide when I try to seek
Cover your steps with lies barely concealed
I hide that I am trying to seek
And pretend not to notice the lies

Now I have fallen and broken my back
And you have found a new bag of stones