Friday, December 08, 2006

2006: A year to remember

Open the account books of another year
That lies here in front of me like a beached whale
Not yet dead, but dying, bloated, onlookers gathering
And wonder if life is really a beach!

(Those pesky cheeky bumper stickers!)
A few cheers, some memories worth remembering,
Opportunities lost, a few events fabricated
And a passbook full of monumental changes.

Another year of lies, semi-truths, prevarications
truths, omissions, fears, and hurts
A moment of pure honesty, a day of true introspection
momentous decisions, a move across oceans

a true goodbye, many fake farewells
a closing that was final, many that were not
many fights, many hugs, many smiles,
invitations, from old friends and new

aging! my face looking back from the mirror
looks unfamiliar with each passing day
a chipped tooth reminding me of the
need to take better care of my health

(if I could write a poem about 2006, what will it be?
Will it be about the central square and reading the Metro
or will it be about the lake and summer walks?
Or will it finally be about something that really matters?)

Fortunately, and I give thanks for this,
no one close to me died in 2006
No one was gravely ill, what a relief
(and for the one who died, may you rest in peace)

(Loss is part of life,
a million small losses still don't add
upto a big loss.
Was 2006 a good year?)

How life changes around you
when you least expect it.
But in the end, it is still a good year
I am just addicted to complaining.