Friday, May 11, 2007

Bullets Over Janpath 1

Bullet Balasubrmaniam was quite furious when he heard the news.

He was being transferred again.

But he could not react. The news came to him in secret; a little bird in HR whispered it to him. He waited for the meeting with the Minister for the official surprise. It was not such a big surprise to him what with his falling out with the Minister-in-charge. But where could they now transfer him which was worse than his current dead-end post/

It had been quite a few days since he came back from a trip to America lovelorn and sick, to the desk job that neither provided him with satisfaction nor showed any reason for hope for a better tomorrow. He could not tell him that his official trip to America had been a complete disaster so he did the next best thing; he made up stories on how truly busy he was and how they loved him there so much that he could not even tar himself away to visit new York.


“’ The president leaned to me and said, “Bullet, we need more people like you in the development agencies. If I tried to get you a posting, will you come?’ What can I say, hey? I said, I am so flattered, but will have to consider the needs of the family before I can commit,” Bullet told them.
They nodded in agreement, while inside they felt the stomach convulsions of envy. They contemplated their status as workers who are not sought-after in the West and therefore had no chance of making it out of the dark damp halls of files. So they did the next best thing they could do.

“Of course, Bullet saar. Family has to come first. Besides, look at our India. What a fantastic opportunity these days! These Americans are so envious of us, I, for one, will not go to America. Too much pride, you see. Besides, the missus is very happy in this set up. She can’t manage without at least three servants.”

Thus having inserted the existence of three servants (two of who are shared with other eight households and the third is permanently absent because of a salary dispute meant very little to him) thus raising the status, e made a mental note to start looking for assignments in the west.

“So true. Look at Paliwal’s brother-in-law’s chacha’s son," he said, "The same Paaliwal, Under secretary of Commerce, next in line for Chief Secretary. we are very close you see. Totally getting invited to the parties and all. Well, anyway, Paliwal’s nephew went to New York on a development assignment. I am hearing the man is struggling to survive. These agencies don’t pay well, yaar. I can’t risk it anyway. I keep getting offers from London to teach at the Economy school there. But you know, the minister can’t live for a day with me. But you could do
with a change, old chap.”

Every now and then, the memory of the lost love would come up like a burp from the deep inside of Bullet to escape into the world. His wife, Parvathi Ammal was just thrilled to have the husband back now that he was an internationally traveling-sort of officer.

But bullet knew better. He knew it was going to be another dead-end job until he found a ministry staffed with someone from his own caste. That is how things worked.

He was not sure how to react when he stepped into the Minister's office.

" So Bulletji," the minister began smiling a fake smile, "how are you these days? Hope the work is interesting." He flashed his betel-juice stained teeth and paused.

Bullet noticed with some discomfort that the thick gold chain around the minister’s dark and wrinkled neck meandered like a snake as the veins moved when he spoke. The minister farted rather noisily as he spoke without bothering to apologize.

"I am quite enjoying Minister saab. Quite thoroughly enjoying only. This ministry is fantastic, what with you leadership style and all. When I was in America, I was remarking to the President of the Agency for International Aid rehabilitation how your style is also American. "

The minister nodded and smiled in perfect self-satisfaction. People notice these things; he thought to himself, I try to be American in these matters. Then he picked a toothpick and started cleaning the gaps between his teeth while talking more indistinctly.

" I know Bulletji. I try as hard as I can. But I am not really American that way, too brash those fellows are. I am a bigger fan of how the Aussies are. When I was in Australia, I was so impressed with their quick decision-making. We Indians need some change only. Too much traditional vaditional, we are. Nahin?

"I totally agree. When I was in America… "

Minister cut him off with a slight wave of hand. This America thing was getting on his nerves. I need to get invited to visit America, somehow, he made a mental note to himself.

" So anyway, Bulletji, I was a new assignment for you, you know how things are." he tentatively began while wiping the back collar with a hand kerchief. Then on second thoughts, he left the kerchief right there and continued, "only you can do what we need you to do. You have the right amount of tact and vision. "

"Whatever you want me to do, Minister saab," a sinking feeling came over Bullet. it had to be really bad for him to begin with suc pep talk.

"I know that Bulletji, isiliye tho I am coming to you. We have had our past differences, but I am very impressed with your intellegence and hard work. We have a little problem with the Road Development Corporation. The new MD we have appointed is a cousin of the deputy prime minister. The chap wants more power. Too many PWD contracts you see. He wants to merge the RDC with Road Contracts Commission."

"Why sir?"

"Because RCC hold the tender power," Duh! The minister said dismissively.

"Ah. Minister saab, but what would you like me to do? I don’t know a thing about roads. "

"That is OK. You see Bullet, we need someone to take a short assignment and smooth things over. The guy running RCC is of the same caste as the finance minister and we can’t just move him out. We want you to go and find a nice happy way to get this done. What you say?"

Bullet exhaled deeply. The sun was setting. I will live to fight another day, he muttered to himself.

"Of course I will be thrilled to," he forced a smile.

"That's it then," the minister folded his hands and rang the bell for his PA.