Monday, March 12, 2007

Gedanken von einem Flughafen

I write this from an airport somewhere. It has been weeks since my last post. I haven not had much to write. Nothing has changed. I am still nursing my annoying illness while continuing to travel. Sometimes in this process, I manage a little bit of rest, most times I dont. I hear the constant noise of coffee cups behind me and it annoys me. A banker is speaking rapidly with another man; a silly man is hiding his face behind a newspaper. I would much rather stay lost in thought.

There have been frantic visits to cities I have not visited in a while. There have been lost pieces of luggage; there have been silly fights, many frantic trips, transitions, and sometimes, there is hope that one could stay longer.

I shop listlessly for a suit when the luggage is lost so I can make it to my meeting. I am generally happy even though the lost luggage number directs me to an Indian call center where `Sam` is singularly unhelpful. He "authorizes" USD 50 for incidentals which does not even cover the cost of a tie. But I am generally in good spirits. I remember that I have been in this mall before. Many times. This time it is different.

Sometimes when you relocate an experience to another city, things appear very different. In spite of all my jokes, I acknowledge how polite people are here. They laugh a lot easier unlike in America or Europe. They are more friendly.

I get tired very easily these days. I end up taking more naps. I ought to see a doctor but I am in four different countries in the next four days. I know it is a silly excuse, but that is how things are. My body needs rest. I hope in May, if not April, I can take a week off and go some place where I can recuperate fully.

Then, perhaps, I can write again.