Thursday, October 19, 2006

Opera or Michael Bolton

Nothing to write because this blogger has been busy:-)

Interminable meetings and lack of sleep do not make a good story. I fell asleep by the laptop and closed it with with my glasses still sitting on the keyboard. I am glad both are intact.

It is dark and gloomy here. Going to parties to have a good conversation is like going to a Kamathipura hooker looking for intimacy (no personal knowledge of the latter, in case you are wondering). Allahabadi taxi drivers in Bombay please take note. You know it is all downhill when you are on your third martini and on the THIRD repetition of the same funny story that was not even that hilarious the first time it was told.

Speaking of funny stories, I was in a meeting with a few French-speaking people. I used the common English (American?) expression "many ways to skin a cat." After a few confusing stares, this devolved into a discussion on the merits (and demerits) of actually skinning a cat. After a while, a man offered up helpful hints on how they skin goats in Afghanistan. I tried to get them to focus. But this went on for some time. Note to self: Idioms are best avoided when speaking to people en Anglais for whom English is not even their 2nd language.

Now for something truly exciting.

On November 17th, the Opera in my town(le Grand Théâtre)is performing Così Fan Tutte. So the crazy person that I am, I have re-arranged all my travel schedules to be here so I can attend. Why, you ask. (Well you don't, but this is a good device for me expound on the reasons.)

In the same Month of November, an American Opera House is hosting Lionel Richie and Michael Bolton! Puh-leeze! And if you are a Michael Bolton fan, don't despair; they have medications that will treat conditions like that. And remind me to bring ear plugs when you invite me over for dinner. In fact, if you ignore Nutcracker (which should be ignored), there isn't one decent performance at that Opera House this season. Compare that to Vienna Opera (Volksoper Vienna) and you will see why I bemoan the sad state of affairs there. In fact, I already bought my tickets to go see Die Fledermaus (which is an operata and not an opera, if you are stickler for that sort of thing) in Vienna on February 7th. I was torn between carmen and Die Fledermaus but I figured at least I will get a few laughs out of the latter.

PS: I will be updating the blog quite sporadically from now on. Because I am packing for my weekday trip to Vienna on February 7th. And I am otherwise busy tending to my hair and cleaning the apartment. And I have heard that the great nation of Burkina Faso is celebrating its Independence day next August. All in all, a very busy time:-)