Monday, August 21, 2006

To Vent

Can I, may I, please vent? Just for a few minutes? I am sure you are tired of my airline stories. But as I have said, that is all I have got lately. So there...

The flight landed so late because we were asked to go on a landing pattern. This has become a regular thing for this airport now. Pretty much all evening flights go on circling for 20/30 minutes before landing. Then of course, my luggage is nowhere to be seen, either the priority tags mean something or they don't. The taxi line was manned by this idiotic union-woman who for no apparent reason blocked the line with a loop chain while people are getting on cabs. Nothing here ever makes sense. If that is not enough, it rained incessently. Welcome.

So five days of no travel. May I am suppossed to meet my friend who runs a center of innovation at the local university to discuss some fun projects they are working on. May be today, even though I don't feel like driving there today. Need to go to the book store, stock up on more books for next weekend. One thing the other town lacks is a well stocked English bookstore.

My cell phone just died. I transferred the SIM card to another phone and forwarded calls from that card to the new phone. It is getting too complicated.
-----------------------------------------------------------------------
My office is large and has tall windows and it is sunny outside. All of this goes against my mood. I wish it was dark and windowless and it was raining. Warm summer rain. I wish I could be drenched in its merciless attack and walk through the nameless streets of Bombay lost unto myself. Remembering. I am too old to feel this way, but then again, everyone has a sixteen year old lost in them.

Sometimes the best flowers in spring grow hidden in the valleys not seen even as the best tendered rose in the public garden begins to look like a plastic flower.

I remember these lines by Akhmatova whenever I am moody:

"I bear equally with you
the black, permanent separation.
Why are you crying? Rather give me your hand,
promise to come again in a dream.
You and I are a mountain of grief...
You and I will never meet again on this earth.
If only you could send me at midnight
a greeting through the stars."

A greeting to all those who have lost.

Don't plan life around unpredictable events, pople, things and schedules. Life just happens.

Live long and prosper.