Friday, August 25, 2006

A Brief History of Time

Fall Colors in Vermont

Guileless openness in your words
Strikes me as reflective.
I watch and wait amid consternation
That you will stop and the silence will crush me

The weight of your breath is upon me,
As the fading light finally melts away
Distressed about meaningless chores
We waste away the time we loaned us

Some tears of apprehension.
A Coolaid and a few mangoes later
You whisper to me, voice chokes in your throat,
My vision is a desert and you a watering hole.

Brunt of their anger and hypocritical scorn
Waits outside impatiently like guard dogs.
Their timid broadsides and their tepid fears await,
But right now we have each other’s silence.


-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
I wrote this poem a little while ago. But today when I re-read it, I thought it needed a footnote. And the footnote to this poem is a few lines from another poem, "My House." by Nikki Giovanni.

"english isn't a good language
to express emotion through
mostly i imagine because people
try to speak english instead
of trying to speak through it
i don't know may be it is
a silly poem"